Fri, Oct 07|
Bíos Triathlon Club | Swimming - Fall 2022
Whether you are a masters swimmer, seasoned triathlete, swim just for health or are contemplating your first ever triathlon event - join the Bíos Triathlon Club this fall and challenge yourself! The Bíos Triathlon Club is for anyone 16+ with basic, through to advanced swim abilities.
Time & Location
Oct 07, 2022, 5:32 a.m. MDT
Calgary, 2500 University Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Canada
About the Event
Thanks for your interest in Bíos Triathlon Club! (formerly the Mount Royal University Triathlon Club). This Fall 2022 we are offering an exciting program for triathletes, swimming enthusiasts, and anyone who is interested in fitness as a lifestyle!
Scroll down for membership cost, programming details or to select a program catagory and register!
WHO CAN JOIN?
- Anyone 16 years or older
- Participants need to be able to demonstrate a 100m continuous swim unassisted for safety.
- Anyone interested in a challenge
- Beginners are welcome, however, a basic front crawl ability is required. Pleae note that part of the Friday Evening swims are uncoached / unfacilitated, so swimmers attending Friday evenings will need to be able to follow along with a workout unassisted (delivered via digital PDF & whiteboard on site).
DO I NEED TO BE A TRIATHLETE TO JOIN THE CLUB?
- No. Anyone can join and many people join just for fitness and/or community & social connection.
- You are also welcome if you only want to swim and we have registration options available to you. We practice all strokes in the Bios Club and although front crawl is our primary stroke, we are similar to a masters swim club that also likes to cycle and run!
WHAT ABOUT RUNNING & CYCLING WITH THIS CLUB?
We are a swim club for teh most part, however group members often self organize for Running & Cycling. Over teh coldest months eg. Late October - early March, we offer some facilitated sessions at the Olympic Oval running Track and/or Spin sessions. These dates are TBD and are seperate from the swimming program.
WHAT DO I NEED TO JOIN THIS CLUB
- Swim suit & goggles at minimum. We prefer you to have swim paddles and fins as well.
- A valid Triathlon Alberta membership provides you with insurance for all activities with us and we strongly encourage participants to have this. An ATA membership is available HERE. If you do not purchase a Triathlon Alberta Membership, you will not be insured during your activities with Bios Triathlon Club.
WHAT GEAR WILL I NEED?
- Swim gear including athletic swimsuit, fins, paddles, pull buoy, goggles and cap. If you don’t have these items or need advice on what to get please contact us. Or visit trihub.ca for swimming & cycling gear and a Tech Shop location for running shoes.
THE TYPE OF TRAINING AT A GLANCE
- Swim Training for fitness & Training for triathlon (super sprint, sprint, standard or long distance)
- Swim training 2 x a week with the club.
- Over the Fall we will do mostly technique focused Front Crawl with an emphasis on FC skills and building distance endurance in a low Rate of Precieved Exertion. We also do other strokes and faster swimming as well.
- Informal Group Running & Cycling - weather permitting
- We use a perceived exertion scale of 1-10 to describe the intensity of workouts
- We use a periodized training schema, peaking fitness in the spring.
- We try to meet everyone where they are at in terms of fitness so that everyone has a challenge without feeling overwhelmed.
The name Bíos is one of the two words the ancient Greeks had for life - Zoé and Bíos. Bíos described the activities of life, while Zoé meant something more like organic life. We chose to recapture the original meaning of Bíos, as the name that describes what we are most interested in accomplishing as a sports club: living a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, at Bíos Triathlon Club we train not just for competition as an end-in-itself but also as a community, training for the benefits of a healthy, active life. We are training for life!
COST & WHAT THE PROGRAM INCLUDES
Full Program October 7th 2022 - December 23rd 2022 (the program will continue at the U of C in the Winter Semester)
- Non-student Full Program: $300 --> $20 per session and includes your pool fees.
- Student Full program $225 --> $15.00 per session and includes your pool fees. (Valid Student ID required)
Drop-In 10 Pass:
- Non-Student $250 - $25.00 / swim
- Student $215 - $21.50 / swim
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES
- 15 Swims (Swimming twice a week) at the University of Calgary indoor 50m & 25m DEEP pool.
- Access to the online Bíos community page where you can chat, share photos & video, have discussions and stay in touch with other club members!
- Informal outdoor running and cycling sessions (TBD)
- Swim workout content created for you and shared via our private group chat area of the trihub.ca website
- Tech Shop Discount - 10% off all regular-priced footwear and accessories, and 15% off all regular-priced apparel.
- Tri Hub Swimwear & Multisport Discount - 5% storewide & 15% on all swimwear (Excludes Wetsuit Rental)
- Access to purchase branded club clothing
- Team event participation
- Early bird notification for future paid programming.
- Notification of upcoming events
- Team social / program wrap-up events
- Discount and access to swim video analysis
Full Swim Program | Fall 2022
(15) Swimming sessions - (8)X 1.5 hour sessions at U of C Pool Fridays 7:30pm - 9:00pm - (7)X 1 hour sessions at U of C Pool Sunday's 6:00pm - 7:00pm$299.00Tax: +$14.95 GST+$7.85 service fee
Student Full Swim | Fall 2022
(15) Swimming sessions - (8)X 1.5 hour sessions at U of C Pool Fridays 7:30pm - 9:00pm - (7)X 1 hour sessions at U of C Pool Sunday's 6:00pm - 7:00pm$229.00Tax: +$11.45 GST+$6.01 service fee
Friday Swim | Fall 2022
(8) Swimming sessions - (8)X 1.5 hour sessions at U of C Pool Fridays 7:30pm - 9:00pm$179.00Tax: +$8.95 GST+$4.70 service fee
Student Friday Swim | Fall 22
(8) Swimming sessions - (8)X 1.5 hour sessions at U of C Pool Fridays 7:30pm - 9:00pm$129.00Tax: +$6.45 GST+$3.39 service fee
Sunday Swim | Fall 2022
(7) Swimming sessions - (7)X 1 hour sessions at U of C Pool Sundays 6:00pm - 7:00pm$149.00Tax: +$7.45 GST+$3.91 service fee
Student Sunday Swim | Fall 22
(7) Swimming sessions - (7)X 1 hour sessions at U of C Pool Sundays 6:00pm - 7:00pm$109.00Tax: +$5.45 GST+$2.86 service fee
Swimming 10 Pass
(10) Swimming sessions 1.5 hour sessions at U of C Pool Fridays 7:30pm - 9:00pm 1 hour sessions at U of C Pool Sunday's 6:00pm - 7:00pm$249.00Tax: +$12.45 GST+$6.54 service fee
Running & Spin Sessions TBA
Select this option if you are interested in facilitated running and Spin sessions at the U of C. Details to follow$0.00